Monday, March 19, 2012

The Recycled Germ Vortex

A surreptitious wave of illness has fallen upon my home. I don't know how or when  the germ cluster infiltrated my house, but it has made everyone sick.

Though not all at once. As it is, the germ cloud has taken turns on each of us and no one remains healthy long enough to allow the others to recover fully and therefore eradicate the scourge. These germs get passed on as if they were some cruel relay race in which nobody (except pharmaceutical companies) wins.

It happens at least once a year, that cyclical black hole month in which germs remain trapped in the same household and are recycled like the stale, skin-chafing air conditioning of a transatlantic flight. It's a battle of wits to see who will remain immune to this anomaly in which perfect health is a long-gone memory. My home should be stamped with a bio-hazard sticker as a warning to those who dare approach it.

It all started when my grandmother became the first victim of this travelling swarm.


After her body was swept in the swirling germ cloud, she sat in her armchair, coughing and sneezing, and requesting that hot beverages to be supplied to her.


The germ cloud targeted my mother as their second victim. Poor Mom spent four entire days camping out on the couch wrapped in a fleece blanket and watching a slew of episodes of her nightly lengthy-titled Spanish-language soap operas.


Then with the first indication that my body was starting to feel under the weather, I received an encrypted message from the germ cloud hovering in the living room.



Fortunately, my survival instincts kicked in.


To battle the onslaught of the germ apocalypse, I began hoarding vitamin C tablets and imbibing gallons of orange juice in quantities that were reminiscent of the 1999 Y2K hysteria. Remember when rumors predicted that all computers were going to crash at the turn of the millennium and you amassed packets of double A batteries and stored your basement with canned goods and created a fort using toilet paper rolls?


I don't because my house is below sea level (no basement).

But I did build an empire using nothing but navel oranges. To be on the safe side, I even camouflaged myself as an orange and hid on the kitchen counter to deceive those unsuspecting germs.









With my clever disguise, I had evaded the impossible! I remained healthy!

But then my grandmother got sick. Again. She was fraught with terrible coughs that wracked her frail body and made it nearly impossible for her to speak in complete sentences.



Then my mother felt under the weather. AGAIN.



A few days passed and nothing happened to me. For one moment, I thought that I escaped and was going to be spared from the illnesses a second time and remain healthy.



Remaining healthy? I should have known that I had better odds of winning the lottery.


Now I'M sick. Complete with chills, fever, sore throat, sneezing, coughing, aches and pains. Who needs medicine when my symptoms match those of a disclaimer for an experimental pill's side effects?

So what is yours truly doing to recuperate from being ill?




If I'm lucky, my house will be illness-free by March 2017. In the meantime, does anybody have a bowl of chicken soup to give to my family? We've run out of the stuff. Again.

Barb the French Bean

25 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. Your telenovela titles are awesome! And speaking of telenovelas, are you going to go see Casa De Mi Padre? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. I'm probably going to see "Los Juegos de Hambre" instead. ;)

      Delete
    2. Heck yeah! I've already read the books, and there's nothing that can keep me from going to see the movies. NOTHING!

      Delete
  2. Maybe if the germs all had to watch The Passionate Glory to have the Glorious Right to Glorified Love (or indeed The Glorious Glory to Love's Cherished Glorified Right) they might think better of infecting people!

    I hope you are all feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ash.

      I have to wonder if those germs have their own version of soap operas for when *they* fall ill.

      Delete
  3. Awwww I hope you and your family get well soon. Hopefully at the same time so that you don't get ill again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those germs are evil! Sorry you're sick. It's like becoming a zombie or something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except this Zombie wants orange juice. And possibly some Zombie Java. :P

      Delete
  5. I'm convinced one of Santas reindeer transmitted those damn germs to our house on Christmas Eve and they won't take a hint and still haven't left. Damn those germs. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known those germs were in cahoots with Jolly Ol' Saint Nick and Rudolph! Dang it! That's the last time I let him come down my non-existent Florida chimney...

      Delete
  6. I have also been laid up in bed. It seemed like a bad migraine, but I have heard the flu is going around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no!

      Well, you know the drill: plenty of fluids, rest and chicken soup!

      Delete
  7. Aww sorry to hear you are sick. I hope you get well soon and the family!

    -Hanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. I'll be sure to pass on the word to Mom and Grandma. :)

      Delete
  8. Hope you get well soon! Thanks for the kind comment on my blog :) At least you have company in your illness, I think there's some kind of invincible barrier around me that stops other people getting what I have. I should be happy about that, but why should I be the only one that suffers?! Of course I don't really want anyone else to get it, but it's a little annoying to be surrounded by healthy people constantly :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn those healthy people and their healthy ways! ;)

      Delete
  9. I think I'd be handing out face masks for everyone to wear so they'll stop spreading their germs! Hope everyone feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe some gas masks would suffice to combat this germ warfare. :P

      Delete
  10. It like that movie fallen with Denzel Washington.

    I love the bit with the orange disguise and the germs reaction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D I admit that section still cracks me up every time I see the interaction.

      Delete
  11. Aw, hope you all feel better soon. Lol, cute story/cartoons! Damn germs, hide! ;)

    Principessa Gabriella

    ReplyDelete

Apparently, leaving comments on this blog is a hit-or-miss game of Russian roulette: you are either lucky and can comment away, or you are required to log in when the settings are CLEARLY set to allow trouble-free commenting (sorry 'bout that, folks). If anything, the Facebook page is always a viable option. :) -Barb