Friday, April 6, 2012

Happy Boithday to Moi (Complete with a DJ and Cartoon Party Cookies)!

Well, this is it. At the tender age of 25, I am officially in my mid-twenties and celebrating another joyeux anniversaire. 

And what do I have to show for it?

Blog-wise, things are going swimmingly. I love having an outlet in which I can unleash my imaginative craziness unto the internet with Hanny, who is not only my blogging partner-in-crime but also a very dear friend to me. And I always get a thrill, dear readers, at reading every one of your comments! They fill me with immense joy and help restore my faith in humanity again. I have also taken great pleasure in discovering various, hilarious blogs that bring a large smile to my face and make me laugh when I most need one.

Real-life-wise...I have a mind full of European memories, a college degree that is collecting dust in my room and a bank account is bankrupt.

(Did you know that the term "bankrupt" originated from merchants and vendors who were unable to pay their loans? The practice moneylenders had featured coming around on market day and breaking their poor clients' benches, tables and stalls, hence, bancus ruptus, "broken bench." You're welcome.)

This certainly wasn't how I envisioned my life would turn out when I was a studious, wide-eyed, straight-A, 4.0 GPA student in high school.

Well, I still am wide-eyed, thanks to the big eyes I inherited from my father (see picture below).


But back then, my relatively-naïve self thought that by the time I reached 25, I would have a proper, stable career and a European fiancé to marry at a lavish ceremony. As it is, I have seen neither hide nor hair of said hypothetical Euro-husband nor am I any closer to being classified financially as middle class. It seems that my life (for the time being) has come to a grinding standstill. Hell, I haven't even finished uploading the photos I took during my trip to Spain last May, neither to the blog nor to Facebook.

Mais c'est la vie. Ya win some, ya lose some.

Rather than moping (hey, it IS my birthday), whining and being rather forgetful about all of the overall wonderful aspects of my life, I thought that I'd be a little more constructive with my time and write down some short-term goals that I'd like to achieve by the end of this year.

1) Get healthy.

This isn't even about weight loss anymore. It is my overall health, both physical and mental. I need to frequent the outside world a bit more and feel better about myself. Clothes-shopping may factor into this as well.

2) Finish writing the rough draft of my first novel. 

I already have 20 chapters down, tinkered with another 9 and have 96,473 words typed out. I am also glad to report that said novel is in no way, shape or form under the category of "Paranormal teen romance." Sorry if you were expecting vampires and werewolves fighting over an adolescent girl. :P

3) Save enough money to go to France by summer 2013.

If I'm fortunate enough, maybe (just maybe) my novel can help me out with this goal, but the reality may include me breaking a year-long unemployment lacuna for a part-time, minimum wage position. After 3 years working at a law firm, 6 months at a cargo insurance company and 2 years as an English teaching assistant in Dijon, flipping burgers at McDonald's is clearly the next career step for me.

The reason why I want to go to France? My good friend and fellow blogger Emily in the Glass is getting married to her beau next summer in France and I would very, very much like to be present for their wedding day!

Plus, I need to visit my adopted Motherland once more. Eating some decent baguettes and croissants and hanging out with my French BFF Mimi will do me some good and will help ease the dreadful bouts of France-nostalgia that hit me a little more than I'd like to admit.

4) Work to getting my Master's degree so I can finally be French get a job.

Simply put, my B.A. in Literature with a minor in French Culture and Language is quite the laughingstock amid all the job candidates who trot out their fancy Business Management degrees. That's what I get for studying what I loved instead of what was practical.

A Master's degree would provide my B.A. the perfect company to share its lonely, dust-collecting misery. I can almost picture them now, two framed buddies hanging side-by-side on a blank wall as they trade stories of how I spent all-nighters embracing my Italian espresso maker and screaming at my internet connection to work faster.

If possible, I will enroll at a French university to study either French Literature or English Education. I do consider myself a writer. I practically always have been, but just in case I need a plan B, the latter degree choice is riskier because if I am to teach successfully at French schools under Éducation Nationale as a professeur titulaire, I must have French citizenship. No questions asked.

And these are my short-term goals. How strange it is to have aged a quarter of a century; it has only made me more pensive with time and feel like writing more serious (boring) posts. I can only imagine how I'll feel once I've aged half a century in another twenty-five years from now.

As a way to lighten up the gloomy, reflective mood, I thought I'd properly introduce you all to my D.J. alter-ego: DeeJay B-zazz!


(Make no mistake. DeeJay B-zazz is dead-serious about her golden boots, sparkly green dress and that type of one-shouldered scoliosis that only seems to afflict those who grasp their cumbersome headphones with one hand and fist pump with the other as they demand everyone to be ready to jam on the dance floor.)

DeeJay B-zazz recommends a sweet tune to jam to on the dance floor!

Are you ready?


GO!!!



If I could invite you all to share a slice of marble birthday cake, I would. To help me in my celebration, I want you all to go out and eat a scoop of your favorite ice cream flavor today! If you think that I am kidding about this, please know that I never joke about ice cream; it is serious business.

Why eat ice cream? Because ice cream is awesome, and the euphoria you get from being in ice cream nirvana is doubly-awesome.



(Are you on a diet? Get some frozen yogurt. Are you lactose-intolerant? Get some soy ice cream or maybe sorbet. No excuses!)

If you do that, then it'll make me feel like spreading warm, freshly-baked cartoon party cookies across the world.



Mmm, cookies...

Do it for the Cartoon Party Cookies. They want you to.  Please don't let the Cartoon Party Cookies (and by extension, their baker) down.

Oh, and if you feel like wishing me a Happy Birthday, just know that I'm cool with that, too. ^.^

Barb the French Bean

44 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! those are great goals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I only hope that I can meet them! :D

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday!

    And honestly, I hear business degrees are supremely overrated because EVERYONE has them. They're a dime a dozen, so while those majors may be laughing at you on the outside, they're crying on the inside because it was such a boring degree and is borderline worthless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly is one way of looking at the situation. I hadn't considered that! Poor business degree majors...

      Delete
  3. BIG FAT HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have a fantastic day. Oh and your goal of coming to France, take it from someone in France, it's not all it's cracked up to be some days. Maybe we can do a blog exchange thing where you come to France and I come to 'merica? I miss it... LOTS! Love Elle xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I hope you get to do everything you want to this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday :D

    I can't wait to read your first novel but right now I'm popping out to get myself some cookie dough ice-cream :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Ice Cream Nirvana! :D (Cookie dough is AWESOME!)

      Delete
  6. Well a happy birthday to you :) Good luck with the goals too. Short term ones are good ones to go for because if something is taking too long people tend to give up on it.

    PS I think you have very pretty eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. When we get frustrated, we tend to say we'll never accomplish our goals and throw in the figurative towel.

      And thank you. ^.^

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday! or Bon anniversaire! I never pass on ice cream. But now I'm feel like eating ice cream, croissants and cookies, all rolled up in one. Yum.

    Hope you enjoy your day and meet all of your short, and long term goals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonne fete! Small steps are much more doable than big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And also, I'm French. (Well, the Canadian kind.) And I've been teaching French for 10 years now, first to kids in public school and now to adults. Teaching is a pretty good life! While teaching kids is much more interesting, teaching adults is SO MUCH LESS STRESSFUL! I love my life more times a million since I started teaching adults. Any chance you could get into teaching adult English classes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Unless it is a language center or at a university. I suppose that a third option could be to teach French as well. :)

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, French Bean! I love your goals. I was similarly impractical in college....and in the rest of my life, and I've got some years on you, but it has been a joyous, if insecure and sometimes melancholy one. And it's still going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that is what only makes life more interesting to live. ;)

      Thank you, Kathleen!

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday! Good luck on your goals. They seem like good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! I can't wait to show off my now superior knowledge of bankruptcy to my friends! Thanks!

    Also, looking forward to the final project of your novel (although I don't know what it's about).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks! (I hope it's not a disappointing one. :P)

      Delete
  13. I know I've wished you Happy Birthday twice today :p, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You will accomplish everything within time, you will see :) It may not be now, it may not be next month, but it will happen.

    -Hanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear friend! I especially LOVE the card you sent! :D So pretty!

      -Barb

      Delete
  14. Joyeux Anniversaire à vous mon cher amie! I think it's something like that, but at any rate, Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close! "Joyeux anniversaire, ma chère amie" would be more grammatically correct, unless you would have left out the "chère," which would have effectively made it "mon amie."

      Gotta love the language of love! ^.^

      Delete
  15. Happy birthday! And at least twice today, I am going to say, "Who is ready to B-zazz it up in here!?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellz yeah! WHO'S READY TO B-ZAZZ IT UP IN HERE?!

      (Sorry, I got a little too excited back there. *pats hair down*)

      Delete
  16. WOW! I made it into one of your goals! What a gift. Miss you and hope you had a wonderful day, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beacoup, Emily! De même: tu me manques! Gros bisous

      Delete
  17. I am late, but I'll still wish you a happy birthday. I have a wonderful excuse for being tardy. I was in France with my wonderful French husband. Not true, but it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh. Tell French husband that I said "bonjour!" ;)

      Delete
  18. I'm terribly sorry for being late with this comment, but I hope your birthday was all sorts of awesome! Also, I might have mentioned this before, but I think you are a highly attractive young lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, no worries, Dave. Rest assured: my birthday was indeed more awesome than I expected it to be.

      And thanks! ^.^

      Delete
  19. Okay, I saw the Hunger Games! It was good! So when do we talk? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about Tuesday night? I'll be a little busy this evening.

      Delete
  20. Happy belated birthday! Hope it was wonderful! :) Good luck with those goals, they're some pretty good ones.

    Principessa Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriella! My birthday was actually one of the nicest I have ever had. ^.^

      Delete
  21. Happy birthday! You look the spit of Shakira in that photo! I like your goals. I just had a fry before reading them though and now I feel like an oaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really think I look like Shakira? What a compliment! (I often joke about wanting to reach "Shakira-hotness" on this blog, lol.)

      Delete
  22. Do you need to keep an eye on your partner or your kids by gaining access to their phones and other software devices? As a parent,if you want to know what your kids do on a daily basis on social networks (This includes Facebook, twitter ,Instagram, whats-app, WeChat and others to make sure they’re not getting into trouble? Whatever it is,Ranging from Bank Jobs, Flipping cash, Criminal records, DMV, Taxes, Name it,cyber lord can get the job done, reach him on 'hackingloop6@gmail .com' . He helped me with genius hacking assistance.. tell them i referred you..

    ReplyDelete

Apparently, leaving comments on this blog is a hit-or-miss game of Russian roulette: you are either lucky and can comment away, or you are required to log in when the settings are CLEARLY set to allow trouble-free commenting (sorry 'bout that, folks). If anything, the Facebook page is always a viable option. :) -Barb