Friday, December 31, 2010

A Re-Cap of French Bean's 2010

1) Celebrated my first new year's in France.


2) Celebrated my 23rd birthday in France.


3) Spent 1 week travelling around Italy (Venice and Rome) where I bought two Italian espresso pots.


4) Fell madly in love with a Frenchman


5) Had heart broken by said Frenchman (a.k.a. Loser Ex-Boyfriend).


6) Left Dijon in tears.


7) Went to Paris to take a CDG-MIA flight back to mosquito-and-humidity ridden Miami.


8) Spent a month wallowing in depressive uncertainty/seriously questioned the meaning of life and wondered how I was going to pay my bills with my English and American Literature B.A. if I remained unemployed.


9) With the help of my partner-in-crime, Coffee Bean, started this blog not knowing what would happen or the crazy stories I would write or the new friends we would make over the internet.


10) Received the news that I would be going back to Dijon. Cried tears of joy.


11) Attended my friend's wedding. Gave me hope in the possibility of love.


12) Had positive outlook on life once again and went to the beach with friends.


13) Became determined that the life goal is to be hotter than Shakira. Started losing weight.


14) Went back to France on a MIA-CDG flight.




15) Met the new group of English and American teaching assistants and bonded with them.


16) Met up with Loser Ex-Boyfriend. Decided he was never worth my time.


17) Went on a treacherous hiking trip.


18) Took the TEF exam and passed with a niveau B2!


19) Celebrated first Thanksgiving in France.


20) Became interested in a Frenchman who could potentially become a boyfriend.


21) Went on a one-day trip to Lyon.


22) Went on a one-day trip to Paris.


23) Spent my second French Christmas in the South of France.


24) Lost 20 kilos.


25) Gained back 2 kilos during the month of December (rats).


26) Lost 500 grams of the pesky rogue kilos.



The Stats:


Total weight loss: 18,5 kilos

Number of Loser Ex-Boyfriends: 1

Number of entire wine bottles drunk: 8 (no correlation to Loser Ex-Boyfriend)

Number of entire cheeses eaten: 8

Number of baguettes/breads consumed (since return to France): 8

Number of croissants scarfed down (since return to France): 7

Number of steps taken in Dijon: Far too many to count

Total number of potential boyfriends: 1 (maybe...)


I wonder what 2011 will have in store for me!


In any case, my immediate future goals are to enroll in a French university so I can continue my studies to pursue a Masters degree and to hopefully find a new stable job within the next 3 months, one that will help me remain in France.


As for tonight: I need to keep up with my New Year's Eve tradition of strolling around with a suitcase once midnight rings in. Just shortly into 2011, I will be walking around the neighborhood the middle of night pretending to go on a voyage. (I realize that I will look like a total idiot, but I do not question my mother's habits.)




This bizarre custom is in fact to bring the good luck for me to a bit within the year! Personally, I would love to travel either to London or Barcelona.


And this is what I'm planning to wear tonight! The red shawl was a Christmas gift I gave to myself (ha ha).








*Update*


This is what I looked like (before I went out and the humidity wrecked my hair)!






I truly wish you all une bonne année! Let 2011 be better than 2010 ever was!

With much love,

Barb the French Bean

9 comments:

  1. You had a very busy 2010 to say the least. Hope you have a great time tonight and a great 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you mention this potential boyfriend or your TEF scores before? o_O

    In any case, congrats! And happy New Year! (Akemashite omedetou!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stu: Thanks! I did, by the way.

    Zora: For the TEF scores, I had posted a comment (in French) on Facebook.

    For the potential boyfriend: No, I hadn't...but, again, I'm not sure about it. It may not work out due to certain circumstances and whatnot.

    And thanks very much!

    -Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, French, but you had a jam packed year. I hope 2011 is not as jam packed, unless you like jam packed, then I hope it is jam packed! Uh...

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there... I enjoy reading your blog. You've had a very eventful 2010. May 2011 be better and wonderful! Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it amazing how a little time and perspective shows us how little we missed when 'losing' certain loves?

    ENJOY your night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Barb...looking good there...2010 seems to have been quite some year for you..wishing you success in 2011...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year. Wishing you all the best in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so adorable!
    You looked great in your new shawl and your outfit!

    Truly an eventful year. Ups and downs. Travel and adventure. Multiple countries. Learning, growing and teaching.

    I see a made-for-tv movie deal in your future! But they would probably show it in Canada since so many Americans seem to begrudge France.

    I digress.

    Happy 2011 and all the best to you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete

Apparently, leaving comments on this blog is a hit-or-miss game of Russian roulette: you are either lucky and can comment away, or you are required to log in when the settings are CLEARLY set to allow trouble-free commenting (sorry 'bout that, folks). If anything, the Facebook page is always a viable option. :) -Barb