Saturday, August 7, 2010

Laptop + Power Surge = AUUUUGGGGGHHHH!!!


The title should be self-explanatory...

While I was using my wonderful little laptop, a sudden bolt of lightning instantly turned off all the lights in my house for a split second. Everything went back on...except my...LAPTOP!!!

It made a whining, dying sound. It fried. A burnt smell emanated from it. It won't turn on...

And I checked the warranty. It expired in May. I might have to buy a new one.

Again.

I say "again" because, last year, five days prior to my leaving for France, my old laptop cruelly called it quits on me. I thus panicked and needed to shell out a few hundreds of my already-limited cash on the laptop that, conveniently enough, died yesterday.

Yaaaaaaay...

I'm writing this short post using a dinosaur computer that functions at a tortoise pace. This is just to let you know in case I can't make a proper post within the next few days.

Have a safe, non-surge laptop-killing weekend!
*UPDATE*
For those of you interested, the laptop's viewing honoring its memory will be held on Monday. Light refreshments will be served.
Thanks.

Barb the French Bean

9 comments:

  1. I can't think of anything more frustrating than not having your computer. And the power surge thing - What a way to die! Was it really a bolt of lightning that killed the laptop or are you pulling my leg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody: a lightning bolt struck so loudly that all the electricity went out in a flash. Though the bolt itself didn't touch my laptop physically, it did effectively kill it...--.--"

    Stu: I'm holding the viewing honoring its memory on Monday. Light refreshments will be served.

    -French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! What a nightmare! I don't even HAVE a laptop to be fried, though - I'm still working on a dying dinosaur and praying for the day when I can buy a laptop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instead of a laptop, how about a nice sturdy desktop? They're always loads better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia: That day will come soon enough! :-D

    RandomRambler: I do have a desktop, but I need something lighter for when I travel to France. A desktop is simple too hefty. --.--"

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about a netbook? I think they're smaller, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have thought about getting a netbook, but a friend of mine advised me against it. We'll see what will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain about using a dinosaur computer, the one I'm stuck using most days is ten years old. Ten.

    Also.. If you're going to spend money on a new laptop, make it worth while and don't buy a netbook! You get what you pay for when it comes to technology.

    ReplyDelete

Apparently, leaving comments on this blog is a hit-or-miss game of Russian roulette: you are either lucky and can comment away, or you are required to log in when the settings are CLEARLY set to allow trouble-free commenting (sorry 'bout that, folks). If anything, the Facebook page is always a viable option. :) -Barb